Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Farewell Tom the Turkey

When I created this blog I told myself that I would use it to complain.. Because, let's face it, no one likes to read negative blog posts all the time. They bring us down and when we are done reading them there is just some weird unfullfilled feeling inside. But this is post will be that acception because I feel it is important to myself, the community and basically the world to know what I am about to say.
   Recently is has come to my attention that people are listening to, playing, decorating, singing, and watching all things Christmas. Yes, it is a sad for me to have to inform all of you.. It is NOT the Christmas season! For goodness sakes people it was 75 degrees outside yesterday! The fact of the matter is... We haven't had Thanksgiving yet! What happened to poor Tom the Turkey? Is he being shunned, or ignored because of our over zealous Christmas feaver? Sorry buddy, no one's hungry for your deliciousness.. We don't want the gravy or potatoes. We have rejected the crescent rolls and the stuffing. Our hearts are set on the next holiday.
   I always thought that the Christmas season didn't officially start until the day AFTER Thanksgiving. Yeah it's okay to start your shoping now. Heck I would love to get mine done now. But when I see people listening to music that talks about it snowing outside that drives me nuts! Yestersay I drove by a house that was lit up with lights, Christmas tree, lawn decorations, tinsle, the whole nine yeards. That's when I knew it was time to write this.
   My question is: Why do we want to skip the Thanksgiving feeling so much? Why do we want to rush through the season? The thing about this month is that its just so beautiful outside. Its the month before all the leaves are gone and the plants die away. The air is crisp and comfortable and there is a nice feeling to the breeze. You look up and see the billowing blanket of amber and crimson leaves take flight as the wind picks them up. You can already smell the Turkey roasting in the oven and warm bread baking to that perfect golden hue. You train your stomache the entire first part of the month in anticipation for all of the savory dishes later to come. You see your family come together to eat and share stories and watch football.
   The Holiday its self was created to give thanks to everything around us. God has made such a beautiful world. He has given us so many things that we always take for granted. Shouldn't we bother to slow down and pay our thanks to all he has done for us?
"Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever." psalm 107:1

Yes, I know we are all excited to get to that wonderful day in December, but is it worth it if we miss out on one of the years greatest holidays? God is the king. He is the ruler and power over everything. And while we should praise him everyday, I believe that Thanksgiving is the perfect day to do it.

"Yours, O LORD, is the greatness and the power
and the glory and the majesty and the splendor,
for everything in heaven and earth is yours.
Yours, O LORD, is the kingdom;
you are exalted as head over all.

Wealth and honor come from you;
you are the ruler of all things.
In your hands are strength and power
to exalt and give strength to all.

Now, our God, we give you thanks,
and praise your glorious name." ~first Chronicles 23:11-13

So I don't know about everyone else, but I am definitely going to slow down enough to enjoy the season we are currently in and taste the gifts God has given us (No pun intended). 

2 comments: